HORRIFYING THINGS I have seen today:
1. On a slope of hill by the railroad tracks, the severed, lolling-mouthed head of a dog. His teeth were bared. I’d seen the rest of his body on the tracks before while waiting for trains, a soft blurred darkness like an eraser mark.
2. Also dog-related. One dog was sticking it to another dog as the latter tried to waddle away. Then two other dogs stood on their hind legs and HELD IT DOWN as the first dog was raping it. AHHHHHHH.
And now for adorable, precious things I have seen today:
1. Crocuses coming up in the forest!!!
2. I looked out the window and saw on top of our garage, a little black-and-white cat! He was sitting there like he was the king.
While writing this, I thought of another precious moment to break the tie:
Valentina asked me if I was excited to go to Kiev tomorrow. I said yes, but that I was nervous to address all those people. (I didn’t tell her exactly what my presentation was about, for obvious reasons.) She said, “Yes, of course, but” and here she stuck her fist in the air “YOU WILL SHOW THEM!”
Like your adorable things much better. Hope they wiped out the vision of the horrible. Good luck with your presentation. Love from all us Keysers in PA.
ReplyDeleteYOU WILL SHOW THEM indeed. The dog thing is terrible, and the first part of it where it was just a head reminds me of that BPK poem about the goat...
ReplyDeleteAmy, every other poem I've written in the past three years has been totally derivative of that poem. What varies is the type of animal or which body part has been severed or distorted.
ReplyDelete