As with all movies I saw hundreds of times as a kid, I grew
desensitized to the true genius of Seven
Brides for Seven Brothers, the best romp through pioneer days since the
game “Oregon Trail.” But this May, as I watch the baby animals skitter among
tulips and gang-bang each other, those showtunes of my youth (e.g. “Bless Your
Beautiful Hide,” “Goin’ Courting,” and “Spring Spring Spring”) again waft
through my head.
If you’ve never seen this gem of MGM musicals, here’s the
run-down. Howard Keel stars as a
bass-toned, toothy backwoodsman who brings home a wife, thus inspiring his
strapping-yet-socially-awkward brothers to find women of their own. They go
about this via a midnight raid of the town’s daughters, grabbing the
unsuspecting brides-to-be out of windows and tossing them into a wagon.
Their menfolk pursue the girls, but after crossing a
mountain pass, the brothers whoop and holler and let off their pistols, and
cause an avalanche that blocks the
pass! So, all winter, the girls gradually succumb to Stockholm Syndrome and by
spring, they frolic with the brothers in a Technicolor pastoral.
What’s at work here isn’t just a 1950s brand of compulsory
heterosexuality. Rather, having endured two winters in the rough-and-tumble
backwoods of Ukraine, I realize the reason is – Spring. From its first warm
breath it leeches your reason, then catalyzes all kinds of freakish behavior.
I participated in such vernal rites on a recent excursion to
Kholodnee Yar. The grounds include a nunnery and also battle site from a
short-lived Ukrainian independence struggle in 1918-22. To celebrate that
battle’s anniversary, a whole-day affair was organized, replete with booming
cannons and pompous speeches.
At the height of the afternoon’s heat, we gathered on a
hillside. Not knowing why, or what was expected of me, I wove in the crowd:
Cossacks swaggered, with sun-seared bellies hanging over sashes where they’d
slung knives, long moustaches drooping, bald pates dangling stringy braids. A
Belarusian contingent in huge black fur hats circled huge drums, pounding and
chanting, “Bel-a-rus! Bel-a-rus!” (A decent chant, but only because it copies
ours; everyone knows “U-S-A” is the best chant, drowning out all others.)
Other men were more casual, in typical summer gear (mesh or
sans shirt, baggy capris revealing that awkward stretch of hairy calf). Among
the women, I observed matronly cleavage further cleft into etched wrinkles and
promptly slathered my collarbone in more sunscreen. A group of secondary-schoolers
(incredibly fresh-faced, as if their faces were nubs of amputated limbs) waved
flags and banners, singing patriotic ballads with the pure tones of eunuchs.
A blast of pistol fire rang out. In the valley, a handful of
men, dressed as Cossacks and Bolsheviks, scampered around the scant shrubbery,
crouching and shooting and pretending to die. As the sulfurous odor ribboned
the crowd, they cheered. I thought, This
is DUMB.
To be fair, I think I enjoyed Civil War Days at Naper
Settlement, the fake 19th century town inside my town. As a kid
(probably around the same time I was watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers) I volunteered there, pretending to
be a kid having fun in the 19th century. This involved a lot of mashing
corn with a wooden block into “meal” (which was hard because the corn was like
the fake corn in Thanksgiving decorations) and knocking a hoop around with a
stick. So, I suppose I can’t remove the splinter from my neighbor’s eye until
I remove the log from my own … and then dance
on the log!!!!! (See: barn-raising dance number.)
After the day’s pomp had ended, everyone went off to the
forest for picnicking and, of course, toasting to the glory of Ukraine and her
heroes. Someone named Vlad poured me a generous shot of samahone (homemade vodka), shoved a pickle into my mouth, then
tried to feed me porridge. Although I became immediately wasted after taking
the shot (but only for about five minutes because I was really sweaty), I
explained that I was perfectly capable of eating my own porridge. Vlad accepted
this, but called me a “hippie” and invited me to listen to Jimi Hendrix at his
house.
Drunk off my ass or no, I find myself increasingly
susceptible to the wiles of Ukrainian males. In turn, they sense my pheromones,
and act accordingly; another specimen of masculinity named Sergei also came
a-prowling after this schoolmarmly sack of bones. Sergei might have been
wearing camo capris and a T-shirt emblazoned with Taras Shevchenko’s face
surrounded by guns, but his eyes were as brown and deep as twin pools of my current
water supply. Daaaayum, Sergei, do you want a WIFE???
I’m kind of being an asshole in this entry, so let me say, I
actually have met a number of kind, intelligent, lovely Ukrainians. But I’d never
date one. My Ukrainian and Russian skills just aren’t good enough to send sexy
text messages (my #1 method of goin’ courting), or to express myself like an
intelligent adult. At one point in conversation, I stopped understanding the
words coming out of Sergei’s mouth and just smiled, mute and infantile. He said
sympathetically, “Maybe this is too philosophical for you.”
Uggggggh. Sorry, guy, but in order to marry me, one must recognize and adore My Genius. Back
to square one, mooning down the lilac-scented roads, waiting for a swarthy
young buck to throw a bag over my head and whisk me away.
Wait a second, I forgot something: At my 11th
formers’ graduation party, my favorite pupil Radion asked me to slow-dance! OK,
so he’s 9 years old and his head only comes up to my waist, but he let me spin
him around. Radion, I’ll totally wait for you to grow up. Spring, after all, is
the season of hope.
U-S-A!
ReplyDeleteU-S-A!
U-S-A!
this post made me beyond happy. happy because someone else out there shares the same affinity i have for 7 brides for 7 brothers!!!! (i'm also waiting for my prince charming to burlap-sack me) AND because you volunteered at naper settlement. if i had grown up there, i'd have been there crushing fake corn with you. maybe after peace corps we can. yea yea?
ReplyDeletekeep writing girl. i can't get enough of your words!! : )
Kristen, get ready for Summer 2013: Prairie Hipster Foto-sessia. Grab a fur hat, overalls, and moonshine and meet me at ye olde blacksmith shoppe. We're going to look as hot as the metals we weld.
ReplyDelete